Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Backstretch

This morning I got up and met some friends on the backstretch of Les Bois racetrack.  I have been meaning to go down there but first I had to go get my photographer's license at the racing commission.  Me and my friend, Julie had both our cameras out & were taking pictures of some of riders as they rounded the bend and headed into the homestretch.  I snapped a few shots back at the barn too as there is a lot going on back there with horses walking on the horsewalkers & peeking their heads out of their stalls.  

It was great fun watching some of the riders exercise their horses on the track.  The first picture is of my friend, Lindsey - doesn't she look like she is having a blast!  

I have a story about wanting to race horses.  When I was about 12, me and my friend decided we wanted to be jockeys and sent off for information about jockey school.  I grew up in Illinois so there is a lot of racing back there and this is way before the Internet when you had to call or write a letter for information.  We got the info packet filled with the jockey apprentice program and lots of details about what to expect.  As a "tween" we were all on board to do this - when we got old enough of course!  Unfortunately as time went on I grew way to tall to be a jockey and ultimately decided that I would rather jump horses than race them.  Neither one made my mother really happy!

Here are a few pictures from the track this morning.  







No comments: