Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Once Upon A Horse

This weekend when I was at Once Upon a Horse photographing the Barbara Cimino Memorial Dressage Show & Combined Test Jan Herrmann asked me to take a few pictures of her mares for her new website.  We did both conformation and at liberty shots.  I also took some casual shots of the horses when they were standing around wondering why these people are chasing them.

It is so much fun for me to shoot these types of sessions. Normally I am photographing everyone at the horse shows or randomly pulling out my camera when I visit my horse.  The horses were cleaned up nicely with braided manes.  It's just so much fun watching the horses run around the field - I just got the added bonus of taking pictures of them.  

The challenging part of this type of session is getting the horses to stand in one place with their feet placed how I want with their eyes open and ears up.  Sometimes that is a lot to ask of some horses - ponies especially.  Usually it just takes a little patience and a quick finger for pressing the shutter button!  

Here are a few pictures from the session.  You can see in them that the light was constantly changing from overcast to blaring sunlight.  Overall they turned out great!






Can you tell that these horses are buddies - they are trotting in unison.


No comments: